Saturday, May 30, 2009

Snakes.

So, the house I live here in Oregon is really quite cute.
I have no complaints.
Except, for the lawn. It is horrible. I've never seen anything like it.
It looks like that lawn has never been mowed.
There are weeds that are literally taller than me. I'm not even kidding me.
Take a look for yourself:


Last Sunday morning, there was a knock on the door.
It was a police officer.
Apparently, there had been a complaint about the lawn.

He issued a citation to my roommate (the girl who owns the house) and she had two days to take care of it.
Yikes.
So, the poor girl spent her entire Memorial Day in the yard.
It looks great.

Wednesday comes along and the weather was amazing.
It was so nice and warm outside. 85 degrees.
I decided to go lay out in the freshly mowed backyard and get some sun while I studied.
I found some lawn chairs in the garage and set them up in the backyard and got to studying.
Within a couple minutes, I see something moving.
I look and its a snake.


I freaked out!
But, it was so nice outside I decided to stay out a little longer.
But then, another snake shows up.
Then another.
And ANOTHER.

5 snakes total!

They were only gardener (garter?) snakes. I know they're harmless.
But, I had to get out of there.

But, I was in the middle of the backyard.
And I was bare foot.
And there were 5 snakes blocking my path back to the house.
How was I supposed to get back inside the house?

It took a lot of maneuvering with my two lawn chairs.
But I was able to successfully make it inside without ever touching the ground.

I will NEVER step foot in the backyard ever again.

2 comments:

Angela and Keith said...

Oh wow that's so freaky!! But I can imagine what it looked like with you hopping on the chairs. It would make a good episode of Friends or something. Lol

Nancy said...

Ash, I remember one summer at the Zumpano's cabin you caught a snake and took it home and kept it as a pet! What happened? What made you turn into a wimp?